Tuesday, February 23, 2010

On Writing

In the past six months I've tried my best to dissect the writing process. I've read an endless number of blogs, articles, and books on the subject. The only consistency I can come up with is that there aren't any. No right way to do it. Which is great because it means I haven't been doing it wrong, but thats still not very helpful when you're stuck. And for the past month I have been "STUCK". I've barely written a word that I haven't later deleted. So this morning I had a thought. Maybe writing is the thing I hate about writing. And yes I know how that sounds. Let me explain. I love the staring off into space while a story plays in the theater of my mind. I love talking to my husband about my characters and what kind of mess I'm going to get them into and out of. I love those moments when I figure out how to piece together the puzzle that is my plot. But I really don't look forward to putting my butt in a chair and my hands on a keyboard, while twisting words to fit the images in my head.

So what do you guys think? Is there a good way to trick myself into liking the BICHOK?(butt in chair, hands on keyboard)

3 comments:

  1. This probably sounds crazy, but why not twist the words around on your computer to fit the images in your head, as well as talking to your husband, etc. That way, you'll start having "fun" at your computer, hands on your keyboard. I recently was trying to write a piece, and was trying to conjure up what I was thinking onto the screen...it ended up being line after line of babbling, then a couple of words, then things that didn't make sense, then a few lines that DID make sense. I did it as I was concerned I was going to forget a few things, so no chance of that. The bonus? Having bits and pieces that become ideas for the future, once that handy save button is pressed. A quick cut and paste into another file of the things that I didn't want to use, but might at a later date, and it becomes fun again. Soon your "bits and pieces" might just be working into writing your book, and you hadn't realized...wishing you the best of luck, and I hope your journey with your book ends up being a fun journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and advice. Great ideas by the way. I think I'll try to get my hubby to sit down with me tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Annette. Thanks for dropping by my blog today. I can identify with your situation. It's easy for me to visualize what I want to say. I love that mind candy! Sometimes, after working on it so much mentally, it's hard to make the switch to the keyboard. Have you tried writing it by hand until you get that sudden, inspired rush and you need a faster method of recording your thoughts? Switching your method of writing can often be just the shake-up you need.

    ReplyDelete